For some people, the simple mention of yoga has them cringing and thinking this type of activity is only for women or the elderly. Others think it is simply a passing fad, which will quickly fade away. However, what these people often do not know is first, yoga has been around for more than 5,000 years, so it is not a passing fad. Next, these same people lack the information needed to understand exactly how yoga works to help improve the body’s health and well-being.
A “total” yoga session is a complete mind and body workout. Yoga incorporates stretching poses, strengthening poses, relaxation, meditation, and deep breathing. Together, each one helps strengthen the body, build muscles,burn calories. Additionally, yoga also improves focus and concentration, and calmsthe mind and body. There are more than a hundred different forms, ranging from slow, relaxing, and gentle to intense and quick-paced.
Among the numerous forms of yoga, some of the more common ones you can encounter includes:
- Hot yoga –It is practiced in a temperature controlled room which is heated to at least 36 degrees Celsius and no more than 40 degrees Celsius. It is important to maintain the temperature within this range during the yoga session while progressing through the poses. Any of the below listed forms of yoga can be practiced in a hot room.
- Hatha – This is the most common form of yoga you will typically encounter. Each form combines a series of breathing with movements.
- Ashtanga – This form incorporates specialized breathing techniques along with a series of movements and poses.
- Iyengar– Performing this form of yoga requires using various props, like chairs, blocks, and so on, as you learn the various poses and movements.
- Power – Power yoga is fast-paced and designed to help provide a more intense experience which can help speed muscle development and strength building.
- Vinyasa– Sometimes called “smooth yoga,” this form uses a series of poses which “flow” from one to the next in “smooth” transitions.
All forms of yoga are perfectly suited for targeting several key areas of the body people want to make stronger, like their glutes, arms, core, legs, and back. The poses used in yoga are designed to help increase flexibility, while tightening muscles and burning calories. It is worth mentioning, as calories are burned, they help reduce excess fat in various areas of the body, like the stomach.
In addition to help shedding excess fat and building stronger muscles, yoga also helps to strengthen our minds and provides numerous benefits:
- Helps us sleep better and deeper.
- Helps us deal with stress and tension in a positive manner.
- Strengthens the body’s immune response system.
- Makes us less prone to illnesses and diseases.
- Helps address and resolve back pain.
- Improves our bone health and postures.
- Helps reduce blood pressure.
- Increases concentration and improves focus.
The list goes on. Essentially as our bodies and minds become better connected and stronger through yoga, all of the systems within our bodies start working together in harmony. To learn more about yoga or to experience a yoga class in Mississauga for yourself, contact Mind to Body Yoga, Fitness, and Wellness at 905-712-YOGA (905-712-9642) today!